This German observation bunker is located on the Sundgau front in Alsace at the far end of the Western Front. It’s sits on rising ground in what was once Germany before 1914 and overlooks the site of the former French positions which ended here on the Swiss border close to the village of Pfetterhouse.
This area saw fighting in the early period of the war and then settled down to static trench stalemate. The remains of these final positions on the Western Front sit deep in woodland well off the tourist trail, although a local association are trying to make the sector better known.
Beauty of nature with scars of war!!!! Beautiful photography Paul.