Audregnies is a small village west of Mons, out on the far west flank of the British Expeditionary Force during the Battle of Mons in 1914. On the 24th August 1914 the largest cavalry action of 1914 took place here when 9th Lancers and 4th Dragoon Guards charged the German positions at the Audregnies sugar factory. Captain Francis Grenfell led the 9th Lancers into action at Audregnies and was later awarded a Victoria Cross for his bravery here.
‘That charge was as futile and as gallant as any other like attempt in history on unbroken infantry and guns in position. But it proved to the world that the spirit which inspired the Light Brigade at Balaclava…was still alive in the cavalry of to-day.’
John Buchan, Francis and Riversdale Grenfell: A Memoir, (1920)
The old pavé road at Audregnies runs from the village to the sugar factory and was the dividing line between the two cavalry regiments in 1914. A century later it still remains and much of the battlefield is unchanged. This image is taken looking back from the sugar factory towards Audrenies to where the cavalry charge came from.